Saturday, August 27, 2011

How does a novel start? With organiziation. Or not.

I've been doing a precise scientific survey of writers to find out how they write their books. (okay, I've asked three other writers.)

Do they organize, outline, use sticky notes, or just start writing? Inquiring minds want to know. At least this one does. I'm not naming names here, but one very successful cozy mystery writer who uses quilt patterns in her titles (that's all I'm giving you) says she doesn't outline a thing. She says she just writes. And that, she says, is why she does a lot of rewriting. :) I love a writer with a sense of humor.

Another says she knows the beginning and the end, and maybe a couple of things she wants in the middle, but that's it.

I feel the need to have major events laid out--like fence posts, as I've mentioned in the past. Then I can write from point to point, linking up the key events. Maybe it's because I'm less experienced and I need that safety net of knowing where I'm going. I do detour here and there, but having the next "post" on the horizon keeps my writing on target. Not set in cement. Just on target.

I've asked another of my favorite writers to comment and will put her input in the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment