Thursday, August 19, 2010

Good grief, I just killed off another character!

The problem with writing without an outline is that you may, as I did recently, get the bug to kill off a character, which leaves one, me anyway, with a problem. I just killed the guy who was supposed to be the big bad dude, the one responsible for the first killing and of whom everyone is afraid. Now who do I blame?

Well, I find this rather invigorating, because I have someone in mind. But it also brings me back to the fact that I really do need to sit down and make a map for my books so that I've got the road laid out, though not yet paved. I really do need to do that. My problem may be the same as yours if you're struggling to finish a writing project--time.

Time used to snail by, but now that I'm nearly ancient (according to my teenager), it moves like a bullet train. I know that one doesn't find time, but makes time. If I want to get these books done, I need to make time. And I feel like I need to make a huge block of time. And huge blocks of time do not just lie around waiting to be picked up and used at my house. I need a weekend retreat. And I'm going to plan one. Soon. I promise. I'll get back to you on it.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds great...I hope you find the time to map out the future of your book

    ReplyDelete
  2. Plotting out a story sure isn't as fun as writing the story, but it's so important. A lot of times I like to just write and write, without knowing where I'm going with it--well, it never does go anywhere interesting, and it never ever evolves into a novel. Sigh... I hope you get a nice writing retreat soon.

    ReplyDelete