Because of my background in journalism, and since this is my first foray into fiction, I'm always hunting around
the world for ideas and information that will help my writing process. Becky Levine, an author I've mentioned here before, has a great blog about her writing . ( Why is this stupid thing indenting? I wish I were more techy.)
It gives me lots of great info. This list came just in time, since I'm hung up about where to go next in my novel.
I've revised it by leaving out the name of Becky's heroine, but otherwise, these questions are straight from her.
Questions to ask about my heroine:
• What did she do in the previous scene or few scenes?
• What were the consequences of those recent actions?
• How does she feel about what she did and about what happened?
• Who did she set up a conflict with?
• What other character has a strong goal at this time?
• What story element have I not dealt with in, perhaps, too long?